If you want to get noticed, you need to be the most knowledgeable blogger in the world. If you don’t know the most of the basics, your chances of making it to the top are slim.
1. Be specific We get to discover the many different kinds of people who read our blogs and we also develop connections that are hard to explain in words. The fact that we know and understand them is what connects us to them.
2. Stop trying to be too fancy A lot of writers like to decorate their blogs with fancy fonts, color schemes and images and use a lot of buzzwords to persuade us that they know what they are talking about. Keep things simple. Your blog is for readers, not for you.
3. Use headings wisely There are plenty of articles out there on the internet with “horserace” titles. It makes your blog feel like a sporting event or a TV sports channel. You want readers to feel like they can easily understand your articles and follow them through.
4. Readers do not read paragraphs When your readers are asked to rate an article, they do not want to read three or four paragraphs. People do not read paragraphs. They read headings and the overall structure of the text.
5. You cannot fake it I’m not saying you should lie. You have to show your readers that you are an honest and genuine blogger, but you have to also be truthful to yourself. I like this quote by entrepreneur/investor, Patrick J. Buchanan: “If you don’t like something I say, you should look for reasons why you shouldn’t like it.”
6. Write posts as short as possible When people sit down to read your posts, they do not have much time to read. If you want to reach them, you have to do what works for you. Short posts work for me.
7. Do your research You can’t become an expert at anything you haven’t done. Unless you are a top baseball player, you have to learn the basics. If you want to become a top author or you want to write a big blog, you have to put the work in. Read books and articles. Practice writing and reading. This will make you a better blogger.
8. Write articles on topics you know something about If you are a writer and you have written articles for different blogs before, then you know the publishing standards and the types of articles that are generally successful. Therefore, when you write your own articles, you know that they will be successful, too.
9. Skip the flashy words Avoiding fancy words and phrases is not easy and in the beginning, you will do it by reading a lot of advice. However, in the end, it’s often best to stick to the basics. Write in simple language, be relevant and be yourself.
10. Keep on learning The more you write, the more you learn and the more you learn, the better you will be. Your blog will keep growing because you will be improving and adding to your knowledge every day. If you stay curious, you will keep getting better. The little tip You know how you have to capitalize some words to get a sense of urgency in a sentence? One of the things I do is capitalize “M” for “Mom” to get the sense of urgency. For me, a blog is a mom. This post is part of our contributor series. The views expressed are the author’s own and not necessarily shared by TNW. Read next: Facebook Stories lets you add an interactive touch to your messaging